Basement Framing And Drain Pipe

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blainekehl

Reaction score
I am finishing the laundry room in my basement. I have a 10 foot drain pipe running along a concrete outside wall. I will be replacing this drain pipe. I need to frame the wall this pipe is running along. It's a 2 inch pipe about an inch from the wall. I was going to use 2x4 studs but I'm not sure how to account for the drain pipe. Should I run the pipe and notch all the 2x4s? Frame the wall and bore holes in the 2x4s to run the drain through? Should I use 2x6 instead? This is not a load bearing wall.
Any ideas would be great!

This can easily be solved but pictures or a sketch would really help. You might be talking about a simple bulkhead which can be drywalled ... or ???

Lots of very capable people standing by to help. Just be quick to respond because if they get bored they tend to drink a lot. :D

SILLY.jpg

OK, I have some photos. I don't know if they're that great or not. Keep in mind that the horizontal run of the drain pipe is being replaced.

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

We frame the walls out of 2x4, 1" from the concrete, if we get there first the plumber will drill thru the studs and if they get there first we notch around the pipe, sometimes that requires a 2x6 wall. That wall is usuall insulated to stp moisture from wicking thru the concrete and you don't want the copper behind the insulation and it usually runs about an 1 1/2" from the drywall side of the stud.
BTW when you build this wall you should fire stop the top of the wall so a fire in the wall dosn't have a free path to the floor joist. Dependond on what the plate is on top of the concrete 2x4 or 2x6.
Just add another 2x4 or 2x6 against that plate which will bring you out the required inch then place the top plate of your wall against that and level or plumb down to the floor for placing your your bottom plate. Alway put plastic sheeting, tarpaper or sill gasket between wood and concrete if they are touching like you bottom plate.

You could use 2x4's, notch the stud for the pipe and then reinforce the stud with a wall stud shoe.

thCATX3OQ1.jpg

The first question I would ask is how important is the floor space in that area to you? If you have a lot of room and all the work to frame it up to an inch of the wall is critical then you will have to deal with cutting stuff out and such. If you have a lot of area to spare I would just build my wall out far enough to clear the pipes.

The first question I would ask is how important is the floor space in that area to you? If you have a lot of room and all the work to frame it up to an inch of the wall is critical then you will have to deal with cutting stuff out and such. If you have a lot of area to spare I would just build my wall out far enough to clear the pipes.

We have all the room we need in new houses and never prebuild wall because the floor is never perfect and stud hights very. So prebuiding requires care when measuring. We use nail gun so it is a lot easier than hand nailing.

We have all the room we need in new houses and never prebuild wall because the floor is never perfect and stud hights very. So prebuiding requires care when measuring. We use nail gun so it is a lot easier than hand nailing.
I was just talking about the two or three inches of width in the room he would lose not notching everything to go around a pipe. I’m also a fan of building a wall in place like that cutting each stud to fit.

What are these nails and nail guns you speak of? If I can’t screw it together it can’t be framed.

Back