Crack in Door Frame...Is This Serious?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thapranksta

Home DIY Newbie
Reaction score
Recently, I got a call from my wife who indicated that she was having trouble closing the door leading from the house to the garage. Upon closer inspection, she discovered that some of the hardware on the interior of the door frame was missing a screw and she also sent me the following picture below which shows a pretty large crack. I must also mention that the top of the drywall had peeled away from a roughly 5 inch by 3 inch area right next to the door trim inside the house.

IMG_0913.jpg

Does this look serious? Should I try to hire a professional to take a look at it more closely?

Thanks.

Looks to me like someone was trying to break into your house. So yes you may have a serious problem.

Wow. Never thought of that being a scenario. But you have a point that I simply can't ignore. It does look like that could have really happened. I will check my garage to see if there are any signs someone could have entered. We live in a mostly safe area but I normally keep all doors to the garage locked with just that type of scenario in mind. I grew up in an area that was the opposite so it keeps me on my toes.

I agree with Bud. You could remove the trim and pre drill to the depth of the crack and put long screws in and it will be stronger than new.

Bad crack from serious force! You should replace the door. If this is a door into the garage, it is supposed to be fire rated. That kind of door does not split vertically unless it has been kicked or shouldered very hard. If it is NOT a fire rated door, then you need to put one on. It prevents fire from spreading into your house from the garage (where a lot of bad things can happen). :D

I agree with the break in theory. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the door was someone tried to bust it down. Of course there are reasons that someone could have damaged the door. Teenagers and alcohol come to mind.

It's funny you say that JoeD. I have a 17 year old who was given a choice when my wife and I had to go out of town. Come with us or stay at a nearby friend's house until we returned two days later. He didn't seem to like either choice as he thought he would just stay at home while we were gone and do whatever he pleased. Already had a bad experience from trusting him to stay at home by himself for one night.

He chose to stay at a friend's house. The night we left I did not lock one of our front garage doors apparently. We noticed the damage soon after we returned as far as the drywall peeling. So right now he is suspect #1.

Latest posts

Back