Handle on flue of woodstove is wobbly

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacnob

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have a used (older) Jotul wood stove, model 602N that I bought used & just had installed in my enclosed back porch a few months ago. It was working fine until a few days ago. No draft, smoke into the room, etc. I'm not sure of the term, but the flue has one of those handles protruding from it & I was told controls the height of the flame. When I turned it, there was a slight crunching sound. I assumed it was rust or creosote. I opened the cookplate, & sure enough, right below the flue was a pile of ash & creosote about 6 inches deep. I'm assuming after I clean that out, it will correct the "no draft" problem. The other issue is that knob on the flue now has a lot of play in it & the plate inside seems loose or wobbly. Obviously I can't see through the flue and I can't seem to find a Jotul flue knob diagram to know if I can easily fix the problem. Why is the knob now loose (it seems to fall down to a weighted side) and how can I fix it?
Chilli in CT:confused:

Call a wood stove installer. They will know the issue, and probably sell a replacement part. I know Deans stove and spa is a good one in CT.Good luck

Latest posts

Back