painting particle board?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ylexot

Reaction score
So we are getting ready to paint our kitchen cabinets. The POs put formica or some other laminate covering on the cabinets. I started peeling that stuff off to mostly find nice maple cabinets underneath. The bad news is, at least two of the cabinets, naturally the highest profile cabinets by the window, have a layer of 1/4" particle board all over. Not a single sheet mind you, but a patchwork of pieces tacked in place by finish nails.

Do I dig all the nails out and peel off the particle board hoping for a paintable surface under, or is there a way for me to fill in the series of gaps between the particle board and use a magical primer that will give me good results. (Good results being both pleasing to the eye and indistinguishable from the painted solid wood cabinets.)

Thanks in advance!

Welcome YLexot:
First, we don't know what is under the particle board. If it is the same maple cabinets as the others, then definitely take the particle board off and try to patch up what is left. Particle board, being made of sawdust, does not paint well. No matter how smooth you sand it, the new paint will disolve some of the surface glue and make the tiny particles stand out. So, to me, painting the particle board is not an option; you can only hope for the best under that cover.
There was a reason for putting the particle board over the cabinets and I'm afraid it is because there is something unfinishable under it. You may end up having to replace the two cabinets.
Glenn

Back