2 front doors?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akrobi

Reaction score
I just recently bought a Queen Anne house built in 1898. It has two front doors and I cant seem to find out why. One door goes into the entry way and one goes into what looks like could be a dinning room. Just looking for anyones oppinion on why there are two front doors. Thanks.

Welcome AKROBI:
Many houses were built with 2 front doors in the '30s and 40s. No one knows why but visitors almost always knocked on the wrong door. I was raised in such a house and the other door was to the bedroom where my 3 brothers and I slept. It was straight ahead when you came up the steps onto the porch but our main entrance was to the right. As our Yankee friends say, "go figure" (whatever that means).
Glenn

hi, houses built during the 19th century had two front doors...i know it looks kind of weird but there's a logical reason behind it. One room leads to a so called " keeping room" and the other leads to the living room.

The keeping room contains a large fireplace, tables and chairs, but this is not where you introduce your guests while the other door is only used for special occasion. Or normally, one door leads to a parlor room while the other to a family's private room.

Glad it's the 21st century...it means, one front door :D

But i bet you're house is one-of-a-kind!

Latest posts

Back