Ice and water shield

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milbry18

Reaction score
I am replacing my roof in a few weeks. My roof pitch is about a 7/12. All of my quotes were to use Ice and water in the valley's but some suggested using ice and water around the guttered edges? is this necessary? thanks in advance!

Milbry, I do believe that PA follows the northern building codes and requires ice and water shield in valleys, 3 feet inside the perimeter walls, along the ridge and hip rafters if you have them also around chimneys and any penetrations of the roof deck. I wouldn't settle for any quotes that did not include this, it helps prevent ice damming problems.

I agree w/oldog. My particular experience was a real expensive because I had 3ft. soffits so I had to actually run 2-3 strips from fascia to meet the 3ft. inside perimeter requirements.

olddog, in my area it is not a code to have Ice and water around guttered edges. I was just wondering if you would on a 7 pitch if you didnt' have to by codes? Thanks

I'm in PA and I would. Code is a minimum. I like to do things better than minimum. Since you are doing a tear off anyway the incremental cost wont be that much more $$$ so why not?

yeah i think the one guy said 60 dollars more to do Ice and Water around the guttered edges.

National building codes require ice + water shield over all eaves extending 2 feet over heated areas of house.

Back