"Erasing" a Cantilever

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieC

Reaction score
One thing I have been including in the many variations of my split-model redesign is "erasing" part of a cantilever. Attached is a rendering of my existing house. My remodel methodology is to start with a correctly measured model of my house as-is and make changes from that.

What I have ... looking at the center section, the lower-level window on the left is in a 3/4 bath. It is a weird place for a window. The upper-level is cantilevered out 14" over the lower level (exterior measurement, my guess is the brick veneer on the lower section is 2" thicker than the vertical siding on the upper :p ).

What I intend ... probably bumping out the right portion (~13-14', where the bedroom walls (right side windows, both levels) meet the bathroom walls (left side windows, both levels) of the center section, for a gable-within-a-gable effect. This will remove the majority of the cantilever. I want to "erase" the remaining cantilever on the left side.

We live in 3' or 4' frost-footing land. How do you blend a cantilever into the dirt? How close to the ground can it get without dealing with winter heaving? I could plant something evergreen in front of it to conceal whatever needed to be hidden. I'm figuring it will basically be a "box" hanging from the existing cantilever, tied into the bump-out for a bit more stability. I don't want a real window. I would be ok with it being an empty box, but would it be stong enough for say linen shelves? It faces south with winter shading, I could do a small Trombe wall maybe?

I keep drawing it, but umm, I was thinking I should ask someone if it is possible before I get my heart set on it.

OriginalSmaller.PNG

I would prefer the evergreens to disguise the cantilever. Building anything on brings the possibility of trapping moisture and other problems, not to mention the cost of the building.
Glenn

It's what you like and the room you need to have.

However the wood has to be 18 inches from the ground, unless it is pressure treated.:)

So pressure treated, how far can that be from the ground? Though 18" isn't too bad. Not doing it is gonna look weird.

I like to keep things 6 inches off the ground. But if you are doing this the exterior plywood also needs to be PT until you reach the 18 inches.

Thanks so much! Disguising 6" will be easy-peasy!

Latest posts

Back