anyone else stuck in the Blizzard?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
Here in Boston about 20" of snow on the ground and the worst is still on the way, anyone else stuck at home?

After living in New England and VA for many years, I have little sympathy based on complaints by people since the entire area has supposedly had a long history of education and planning. It has not been improved for decades. I built a lake home on a heavily wooded lot in northern Minnesota and plugged in a clock radio and never had to reset it (except for daylight time) for 15 years. I would drive a 150 miles up there at 4:30 AM when a blizzard was forecast to get there early and never had a problem with the buried power, cable, telephone and gas (required and standard -nothing overhead). I backed the car into the garage a drove out about 3 or 4 days later through 24" of snow on the unplowed driveway that settled a bit.

The antiquated utilities and roads in NE that have never been brought up to date and the history of power outages is and has been expected for decades. Everyone knows that there will always be weather events that are magnified by the population and accessibility to the major TV markets.

I just watched a TV report where the weather reporter was saying it was getting worse because he could not make a snow ball since the snow blew away.

Guess what - since he had just said the wind was blowing offshore and was blowing the snow away because it was light and fluffy. Wet snow is really bad.

It is amazing that they have not established an odd even variable parking system for an extended period to allow good snow removal and get close to normal soon! - After all, the storm has been predicted for a long time, so it is no surprise based on the history. At one time a weather analysis said Boston would get 6' of snow, so that is great to get people to watch TV and get disturbed instead of planning.

I am glad I turned down a job profitable for disaster renewal after Sandy because I was aware of the poor infrastructure the that area. I went trough 5 months of Katrina disaster (much worse because of lower cost rebuilding) recovery work, I chose not to take the assignment since I did not want to drive to CT from NJ just to get gas on an odd-even license plate basis when you have to drive over an hour for one just on job to visit (paid by the hour). I went trough working at -52F and not having a problem because I was prepared and not panicked by the TV announcers.

We just went trough 3 or 4 days of highs of 2-4F highs with no real problems since the sun and clear skies following snows eliminated the driving problems despite the temperature.

Dick

and plugged in a clock radio and never had to reset it (except for daylight time) for 15 years.
Or you could have had outages while you weren't there that totaled multiples of 12 hours! :D
Nah!

If you only look at at stopped clock twice a day, it may appear to be keeping good time:rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you only look at at stopped clock twice a day, it may appear to be keeping good time:rolleyes:
People have said that about me.:(

Look for an east coast mini-baby-boom nine months from now. . .:D

I wasn't complaining about it, i love the snow and the Northeast. I didn't enjoy shoveling all day today but what you going to do.

drewdin -

You did get hit with the bad, heavy wet snow and the later snow was blown away into the water after the wind switched. I lived in CT and that kind of snow is miserable, but it melts away quickly because of the average temps, anywhere near the water. The day or two after were always monumental, but passed quickly.

We are luckily to get the light fluffy "good" snow in the heart of winter and 1-2 inches can disappear by noon without melting. - It freshens everything up and sun and clear cold weather follow. The transition between seasons does get nasty, but do not last long.

If you expect it, it becomes entertaining since it usually does not disturb much. - Except 2-20" snows a day and a half apart or 20" om Halloween that collapsed the covers on boats what were not taken out of the water yet. It is nice to talk about the old days and exaggerate a bit along the line.

Dick

we got about 28 inches or so, it was light snow earlier today but around 5 or so it turned into the heavy icy snow. Thank god I shoveled when i did, i saw a few people who decided to wait, not sure for what but they will hate life tomorrow!

Back