Using used insulation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkclean

Reaction score
We are building a house and are ready to insulate. Our friend who is a contractor will have a whole lot of r-30 they will be removing from a commercial building that we can have for free. We live in the valley in N.CA and it does get hot, but not very cold. These are my questions:
1. We need r-38 in the ceiling. We have a large attic that will stay unconditioned for now and need to insulate below this area. We have 12" trusses with with the entire floor of the attic sheeted. Can I double up the r-30 even though it will squish it and leave now space for a flow above the insulation?
2. We have 2x6 walls. Can we squish the r-30 into the walls?
Thanks for any help at all.
Kirk.

compressing insulation reduces it's effectiveness and rating.
So for example; if r38 is 14", compressing it to 12" it will no longer be r38.

Advice that could save you thousands? DONT SKIMP ON THE RIGHT INSULLATION! This could actually lessen the years of your roof! I just put on a new roof. They have a new type of roof that is more efficient and vents from the top. But this meant I needed new insullation.....a certain type to go with the roof. My roofer and best friend said it becomes not a matter of cold or hot but that if I do not use the right insullation for my type of roof that my roof will only last 3 - 5 years. I speant $8,000 on my roof (it was so bad the wood even had to be replaced) and that was through a friend! Others quoted me $15-$20,000! It would not be worth it to go cheap on it. If you need 38 USE 38. It will save you money in the long run.

No I do not want to skimp. I am wondering if this offer can be equal to or better than r-38 in ceiling or r-19 in the walls.

Bad Bad Bad Idea. Compressing insulation in the walls would greatly diminish the effectiveness of the insulation.

Also doubling the insulation in the ceiling would create a double vapor barrier which would trap moisture and create mold.

I also believe that the building inspector would fail that inspection.

It ended up being all r-38 that was in perfect condition. So, no problems at all. We then just put r-19 in the walls. There was so much insulation though, that we actually tore the r-38 into 3 pieces and then put that in the interior walls for sound insulation.
Thanks.

Back