How to warp a door to fit a warped frame

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougLeary

Reaction score
After remodeling my basement I noticed that the hinge side of a new bathroom doorway (built by me) is almost 3/4" out of alignment at the bottom. I must have kicked it or something before attaching it to the slab. Unfortunately I didn't get around to installing the door and noticing the problem until everything was sheetrocked and painted. Moving either side of the door frame would be a huge pain because of attached walls and very solid construction. Building out the frame at the bottom is also possible, but with that amount of warp I think it will look wonky.

The door will spring shut but only when slammed forcefully. I'm wondering about warping the door to match the doorway. Is this possible? It's an old reclaimed frame-and-panel door which I'm sure is at least 80 years old. I have no idea if a door this old can be warped, how to do it properly, and will it hold the warp?

Last edited:
After remodeling my basement I noticed that the hinge side of a new bathroom doorway (built by me) is almost 3/4" out of alignment at the bottom. I must have kicked it or something before attaching it to the slab. Unfortunately I didn't get around to installing the door and noticing the problem until everything was sheetrocked and painted. Moving either side of the door frame would be a huge pain because of attached walls and very solid construction. Building out the frame at the bottom is also possible, but with that amount of warp I think it will look wonky.

The door will spring shut but only when slammed forcefully. I'm wondering about warping the door to match the doorway. Is this possible? It's an old reclaimed frame-and-panel door which I'm sure is at least 80 years old. I have no idea if a door this old can be warped, how to do it properly, and will it hold the warp?

I would forget about warping the door. That is not going to work. I would take the frame out, and if you can't get the whole 3/4" out of one side of the wall maybe you could get 3/8" out of both: sort of even it out. It's amazing what you can do with a sledge hammer and a block of wood to bump against.

But you need to know before you start exactly what you have before you begin bumping so you will know when to stop. If one side of the wall at the door is plumb before you start use that as the control so you will wind up, when finished, with a door jamb 3/8" out of plumb on both sides of the jamb. It's a lot harder to build crooked then it is straight.:(

Good luck

Some things just have to be learned the hard way. It's just another week end dig in fix it up and do it right . Any time you build a wall use a one peice bottom plate and cut out for the door when the wall is built.

Back