Low/fluctuating water pressure after power outage, pump issue??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a possibility that it could be the pressure tank? The system does not hold pressure after shutting off the pump. I removed the well cap and could not see/hear a leak, and the ground from the house to the well seems solid which would rule out a supply line leak. I also could not notice a valve/fitting for the air bladder so it may be possible it is a bladder-less tank given its age. There are also no more remaining branding stickers left. The water also seemed to be slightly better this weekend, so again, it seems to fluctuate, but is never back to 100%?????

If this leak is below the water in the well, chances are you won't hear anything. The fact that your tank won't hold pressure tells me you do have a hole in your drop pipe. That would explain not holding pressure and the pump not making it past 35 lbs.

Another thing. You keep letting that pump run 24/7 and sooner or later, it's going to get hot enough to nuke itself. Not to mention your electric bill.

I had a bladderless tank for 30 years. The common symptom with them is they get waterlogged. Meaning with time the air escapes out of the tank along with the water. Some people pump air back in with an air pump or compressor, but I found it easier to drain the tank into my sump pump. I shut off the pump and close the outflow valve, and then I open the bottom drain with a hose attached to the sump. Some water will flow out but then I would open a bung higher up on the tank to allow air in and water out. Once it was empty reverse the steps turn on the pump and the tank would fill part way with water compressing the air. I only had to do that about once a year.

The symptom knowing that was a problem would be the pump cycling to often not pressure.

You could give it a try and see what happens.

Has the water table dropped in your area? Have you talked to any neighbors to see if they have been having any issues? When was the last time you had the pump out of the well? How deep?

Well, I had my pump pulled this a.m.; turns out there was a hole in the drop pipe, right above the connection to the pump itself. Wish I had pulled it myself, but I guess you live and learn and now i know for next time. Thanks for all the input!

Well, more bad news, we had the drop line repaired on Friday, however after attempting to run the washer that evening, we had issues. It began filling fine, however, it then slowed to almost nothing and took about an hour just to fill. Meanwhile we had no water anywhere else in the house! I understand running a washer will decrease pressure/flow elsewhere, but I didnt expect to have no water, especially when the washer flow was so crappy! I am getting proper pressure readings on the gauge 40-60psi and the pump kicks on and off at those pressures??? Any ideas on this new problem? Also, the initial water pressure will be perfect in the kitchen sink, then after running for 10-15 seconds, it too drops, just slightly. Seems as if we did not have this problem before.

Any time you pull a pump, a lot of crud is knocked loose and will go up stream to faucets etc. Check your faucet aerators. If you have an inline filter like so many people do, take the cartridge out and throw it away. Don't put another cartridge in, they are useless. If you have a softener, iron filter etc, put them in bypass and see if that makes a difference.

I removed the filter as it appeared to be pretty caked with sediment; I also bypassed my culligan system and now we have endless amounts of high pressure. I am having a culligan tech stop tonight for an assessment as I doubt the system has ever been serviced given its condition when we bought the house.

Before he shows up, you might put it back in service and see if it was just the inline filter.

No, was definately the culligan system is seemed; he cleaned a few things, and appeared to be better, however, now we have a big loss in flow at the kitchen sink (cold water only, hot works fine) and the toilet will not fill.... Must be a clog somewhere, just no idea where to look?

You would be better off calling a Plumber to get the plumbing unclogged. When a Driller pulls a pump the good ones always pump the well off on the ground at the site before putting it back in service. This gets all the little nasties out of the water.

Latest posts

Back