wire doubling up Neutral bar slot.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knight775042002

Reaction score
I would like to know what is the best way to fix a wiring problem or even if it is a problem. I just brought a newer home built in 2008 located in TX.
At my main breaker box I have a ground and Neutral bar. Some of the ground wires on the ground bar are doubling up. Also on my neutral bar some of the wire are also doubling up.
1. If I just leave it alone will it cause a problem?
2. Is there an easy fix, like pigtail with a wire nut to make one connection?
3. If not able to fix it correctly with a pigtail what is the correct way to fix it, and can it be done DIY.
4. I am not sure but is it ok to doubling up on the ground bar?

1. If I just leave it alone will it cause a problem? NO.
2. Is there an easy fix, like pigtail with a wire nut to make one connection? YES, NO.
3. If not able to fix it correctly with a pigtail what is the correct way to fix it, and can it be done DIY. ADD BUSS BAR EXTENSION
4. I am not sure but is it ok to doubling up on the ground bar? NO

With a question like this, a picture will help to give you correct answers.
Who knows, we may even see something you are missing.:)
Welcome aboard!!

4. I am not sure but is it ok to doubling up on the ground bar?
For a panel that new this is FINE, if the wires are the same size. Typically you can put up to three in a hole.

The same CANNOT be said for neutrals.

There should only be one neutral per hole and with the grounds you can put two as long as they are the same gauge wire. Also you should not pigtail these wires. You are not supposed to have junctions inside an electrical panel. If you need more lugs to land wires I would get an additional ground bar, move ground wires to fill up added ground bar first making sure to leave neutral wires on original neutral/ ground bus bars

....... and with the grounds you can put two as long as they are the same gauge wire.
Most newer panels will even accept up to three per hole.

Also you should not pigtail these wires. You are not supposed to have junctions inside an electrical panel.
NOT at all true. You certainly CAN have splices in a panel.

Latest posts

Back