Taking off Existing Siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newrenovator

Reaction score
Hi there,

I bought an older house that has vinyl siding but I think that the siding was not done properly because when I look underneath it I can still see wood under and no house wrap (which would explain the noise I can hear outside and the coldness of the wall).

What is the easiest way to take off the existing siding and make sure that the walls are insulated properly and done correctly?
What should I be looking for?

I appreciate any suggestions and help you can offer

Thank you
New Renovator

Get one of these at Lowe's or the Home Depot. Start high and peel it off, pull the nails and pull the nails in the next piece.

srt2.jpg

Just jam this tool up into the joint and it will grab the locking lip and you can pull outward and slide the tool sideways and have a piece off in seconds.

srt2-action01.jpg

I have 3 of these. Love 'em.

Sounds to me like someone cut someone cut some corners not using Fanfold, and or tyvek.
If you want fome under your siding You want to look at your facia, rakes and window trim!!!
When I aluminum trim windows (as most folks) I bend 1" into the wall to receive my J channel that is 7/8". and that will resses my siding to trim 1/8".
You need to post again buddy how far you can build out, with out going past thees three points.

I will buy one of those tools and start removing the siding to see if it was put on properly.

Thanks for your help

What Bridgewater said is absolutely one the mark. Don't forget to reinstall the siding correctly or you may run into failures down the road. Try www.vinylsiding.org for more info.Check out about vinyl siding area for answers and pictures of your issues.

Good luck on your project too.:D

Latest posts

Back