more power in attached garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donald73d

Reaction score
I need to add some additional power in my garage for 50 amp welder, 30 amp air compressor and 20 amp saw. (220V). Also additional 30 amp welders.

The cheapest way is to run a 50 amp circuit to the garage and put in an outlet. Then make some cheater cords to power the the compressor and saw. The welder can plug right in.

The most expensive way is to install a 100 sub box in the garage and install 3 circuits for the above mentioned devices.

The garage has 110V for outlets and lights.

None of these items would be left plugged in when I am not there. The air compressor has its own thermal cutout and I am not sure about the saw.

There are also some in-between choices.

Its not a long run, maybe 15'.

The welder can draw a max of 70 amps on its max setting, but doubtful I would be doing any welding at that setting.

It would not be likely two of these items would be used at once. I do have a plasma cutter that needs compressed air. I could use my other 110V compressor for that however.

Other ideas?

So with a cheater cord, you will be running the 20 amp saw on a 50 amp circuit? :eek:

Don't be cheap about it and burn your garage or your equipment up. I put a large addition on my second garage, which already had a 100 amp subpanel in it. I put a second 100 amp subpanel in the new addition. I have a 50a tigwelder, 30a compressor, 20a lift, lights, outlets, etc. No problems at all. The materials for the electric rough in, which included 4 lengths, 75' each, of #3 copper. I spent around $800. This was the wire, box, main breaker, all the other breakers, 20a tamper proof outlets. Everything works well, I haven't tripped a single breaker, and it was inspected and passed with flying colors. Don't mess around with cheater cords and the like, you're only asking for trouble.
Mike Hawkins:)

If you are only needing to go 15' to be able to supply the new area, to me it is a no brainer. Set a small 100 amp sub in the garage, run plugs to where you need them and be done. By the time you buy the material to make up cheater cords you will have spent half what you needed to do it correctly. You will also not be constantly swapping cords and tripping on the ones strung across the work area.

I did what Fireguy is recommending and couldn't be happier. I actually did some trade work with my electrician so it didn't even cost me anything.

If you are intent on cheating, the least I wouold do is install a small breaker box in the garage. You still couldn't run everything at the same time but you woulkd have the right size breakers for your smaller tools.

Back