No Power to GFCI load terminals

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmschreck56

Reaction score
I overloaded the circuit when I forgot and plugged in the vacuum on this circuit. It's a GFCI protected circuit with 3 bathroom, 2 laundry room, an outside outlet (covered) and an wet bar area converted to an entertainment center that has 2 outlets. All outlets are grounded. The GFI did not actually trip but I couldn't get power. The GFCI outlet works. I have replaced the GFCI outlet , then circuit breaker thinking it had to be one of them. Still no power to the load terminals. I finally bypassed the GFCI outlet and twisted the load and line hot and neutrals (separately and capped) to see if that would provide any power so I could maybe isolate the problem - still no power - I have the circuit breaker off and I'm looking for any suggestions. Thanks

Having a voltmeter would be nice to test for power.
If you are 100% sure you are getting power from the correct breaker but, no power from the first outlet on the circuit then it sounds like you fried the wires between the breaker and the first outlet on the circuit.
The only fix here is to replace the wired.

Please confirm when you plug something into the GFCI it works. If that is true and connecting the line load together does not get you power to the other devices down stream, then you have a problem downstream. Did you check all the other receptacles? Are any of them GFCIs that could be tripped? Or maybe just a loose connection in one of them.

Thank You - I checked a couple of outlets for visible signs of damage but will start checking each with a voltage meter. Without a wiring diagram I guess there's no way to really know how the load has been configured. Since the laundry room is physically the closest can I assume those outlets would be first from the GFCI (which does have power)?

Could be a lose connection in a pigtail behind any one of the outlets. It is reasonable to check the closest ones first.

Did you check the line side of the GFI to see if you have power feeding the circuit? If no power there, did you check the breaker? If you overloaded the circuit, the GFI isn't going to trip. That's not its function. It could be that you didn't reset the breaker, it has failed, or there is a short in the circuit between the breaker and the GFI.

Back