water logged yard/house vibrating from tollway

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny186

Reaction score
I've lived in my house for 3 years and other than the noise from the traffic (my backyard butts up against an expressway with a sound barrier wall) there have been no problems.
About two months ago I noticed a lot of vibrations in the house when a big semi would pass by and I recently noticed that when I have a glass of water sitting on my desk, there is constant movement in the water.

Now I'm noticing that my wood floor boards are beginning to flex and creak. Also, I'm hearing my walls and floors pop and creak constantly. Needless to say, this is really depressing me as I just recently finished remodeling the entire house.

I don't see how I will ever be able to sell this house because any prospective buyers will immediately notice the vibrations from all the trafic.

This may or may not be connected but we've had a lot of rain (Chicago) and b4 that a lot of snow melt. My yard has a few low spots along with a downspout that puts a lot of water against the house. (I recently installed a dry well but it's insufficient; I'm think of running a trench the length of my yard and have it drain off my property).

Could my property be so water logged that the vibrations from the traffic are causing my house to vibrate?

thanks.

Welcome Vinny:
Yes, the extra water could soften the dirt enough to allow the vibrations to telegraph, plus softening the ground under the footers. In your harsh winters you go through a lot of 'heaving' of the ground and the water helps it to settle down to original. You will probably be OK by June 1, which would be a good time to put it on the market. Many people move when school lets out so they can be situated when it begins again.
I wish you the very best on your sale, if that's what you decide to do.
Glenn

Get that water away from the house for sure. I suspect the sounds/vibrations are not really that different from when you first bought the house. Its usually the opposite, people get used to the traffic and dont notice it after a while. You bought that house, someone else will too when you go to sell if its the right price.

Thanks for the advice glenn and handy. i've been trying to avoid it but I think I'll have to dig a 50 foot trench and finally drain the downspout properly.

Back