Help with attic access. Not your average ? sort of advanced

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayrod

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbJAvXyLPGQ]YouTube - Dude, wheres my attic??[/ame]

Okay guys I can usually figure stuff out on my own but I am seriously running out of ideas here! We just bought a 2 story home, built in 1974, and it doesnt have an attic or atleast a way to get into it. Im only worried about the
2nd floor attic. They have the wiring for the ceiling fans, lighting, etc. coming out of the wall, stapled up the wall, and stapled across the ceiling to each component. Its just plain ugly! Not to mention I also need to fix the hole in the ceiling where some kind of wood burning stove used to be. (As seen in the video). I need to re-route the wiring, fix the hole, and some extra storage space would be nice. Problem is I cant find anyway to peek inside the attic. I can take my chances and cut the hole for the attic door out but then I run the risk of it possibly being in the wrong spot where alot of framing or something is. Then I will have a big hole to fix. The entire 2nd floor ceiling is as you see it in the video with exposed beams running the entire lengths. Anyone have any ideas, tips?? Any advice is appreciated. PLease take a look at the video to get an idea of what I'm working with. Thank you.

You've poked every one of the boards in your wood ceiling to see if a hidden panel lifts? It would be real easy to hide one in that ceiling ....

You might use binoculars to inspect every inch looking for a latch or an extra screw that might need to be taken out first.

Nice job posting the video on Youtube. I think I'd pull off one of the roof vents and use a spot light to look inside. I'd hate to mess up that nice wood ceiling.

Good suggestions everyone. I will doublecheck to see i I can find any signs of a latch or entryway.
I got on top of the roof yesterday and was ready to pull a vent off until I saw they had patch all the way around them. Looked like tar. I dont know if they started leaking at one time or what but after I saw that I decided to leave them alone and ask you guys. Last thing I want is a leaking roof.
I actually thought of snaking a tiny camera through a hole to see what is up there but I thought it would be too expensive. Do hey have lights on them? I might see how much they are to rent.

Back