Kitchen Cabinet Painting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dryflycaster

Reaction score
Hello,

A few years ago I prepared, primed and painted our kitchen cabinets. The cabinets are old and are relative inexpensive laminate covered models. The paint has generally held up rather good with the exception of the high wear areas surrounding the knobs. This wear was obviously caused by hand/finger contact.

I now plan to repaint the cabinets once again. Some time over the past couple of years or so I saw an advertisement for what appeared to be a small thin flat transparent acrylic/plastic sheets that would mount (I assume with adhesive) to the cabinet door behind the knob. I have been unable to locate such an item.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be called and/or where i can obtain the product or something similar?

Ever Wonder ?

Dryflycaster

Dryflycaster:

What you're after is called an "escutcheon", or "escutcheon plate". It's basically a decorative plate that goes under or around any hardware to cover a hole or provide support.

If you have screws holding the knobs on your cabinet doors, you might want to put something like this under each knob:

leaf_vine_escutcheon_03.jpg

There are obviously many different styles of escutcheons, and this one might not suit your cabinetry.

Maybe go to Rockler or Amerock's web sites and phone their 1-800 customer service numbers and ask what they have for escutcheons for cabinet door knobs. I know you can buy cabinet door knobs with small escutcheons already molded into them. You might want to combine those kinds of knobs with larger escutcheons to protect a much larger area of paint around the knob.

I think if you just phone up Rockler or Amerock and say you're looking for an escutcheon to fit under a cabinet door knob, they'll refer you to a page in their online catalogue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea and the leads.

I never gave it a thought about using an escutcheon plate. I know what they are but I just didn't think about using one. I guess I was fixated on using that that plastic sheet thing I had seen.

The escutcheon plate is a great idea and it will also offer a little bit of dress up to the door.

Dryflycaster:

What you're after is called an "escutcheon", or "escutcheon plate". It's basically a decorative plate that goes under or around any hardware to cover a hole or provide support.

If you have screws holding the knobs on your cabinet doors, you might want to put something like this under each knob:

leaf_vine_escutcheon_03.jpg

There are obviously many different styles of escutcheons, and this one might not suit your cabinetry.

Maybe go to Rockler or Amerock's web sites and phone their 1-800 customer service numbers and ask what they have for escutcheons for cabinet door knobs. I know you can buy cabinet door knobs with small escutcheons already molded into them. You might want to combine those kinds of knobs with larger escutcheons to protect a much larger area of paint around the knob.

I think if you just phone up Rockler or Amerock and say you're looking for an escutcheon to fit under a cabinet door knob, they'll refer you to a page in their online catalogue.

Back