Best way to seal fireplace?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
So I have a new to me house with a main floor fireplace and a basement fireplace which share a common chimney, both with an insert. Yesterday a backdraft situation occurred and basement filled up with smoke. Looking into the basement insert, I realized it was not properly installed (see photos). Since we never use the basement fireplace, I'm looking for a quick and temporarily way to seal off the basement fireplace flue.

Can I use standard pink insulation to stuff up the flue? If not, what can I do? View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1424619934.922257.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1424619952.021765.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1424619969.488551.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Not sure I understand. We still need to use the fireplace on the main floor, as our house has a hear pump which struggles when the temps drop into the single digits. Both fireplaces use the same chimney, so don't think I can cap the chimney and still use the main floor fireplace, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Each fireplace should have it's own flue and ir's own damper, as I understand it.
So if one is not being used, you could capped. You must have something different than that.:confused:

Back