New window quote...too much?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quattro

Massive Tool Belt
Reaction score
Hey all, we're getting new windows for our home. Well, 5 new windows anyway. I will be installing them myself, and they are frame-in-frame replacements.

The current windows are wood double-hung units. I will gut them down the the bare frame and aluminum exterior cladding on the blind stops and sill.

The new windows will be the Marvin Ultimate Replacement Casement windows. They are designed to be fit in an existing frame. They are single-lite windows with full interior screen, folding crank handle, outside-surface cleaning swivel, aluminum clad exterior and ponderosa pine interior, Low-E II w/ Argon. They are very slick windows!

4 of them are 36" x 45", and the other is 40" x 45".

The quote, after tax, is $2550.

I will be picking them up and installing them myself.

Does this sound about right, or is this high? It's about $500 per window.

Hmm - The only way to know for sure is to shop around. Marvin is high end for sure. I put Pella casements in a cottage, the smallest ones they make. I forget the size, 24x30 maybe. They were about $130 to $150 each. No argon, no low e, wood interior, screens, aluminum outside, new construction style. Had the same kinds of handles and cleaning feature. They were special order. Cheaper ordering through that big orange store versus going to Pella direct. I suppose its been a few years, maybe 5 or 6. The mechanisms still work perfectly.

Around here that is not a bad price for a homeowner.
Ask around to the lumber yards, they will change in price depending on the size of the truck they have coming from the factory.
Higher volume store...cheaper prices for local lumber yards.:)

Sounds right for Marvin.InspectorD is right some lumber yards have truck load
pricing,you can wait up to 6-8 weeks.

Back