Lowe's, Home Depot and IKEA Hardwood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cthfw

Reaction score
Are the laminated hardwood that is less than $2 per sq ft at these home centers any good? I want to install it myself but don't want to spend a lot of money. Please give your advice. Thanks.

I just bought the Ikea $.99/sq ft stuff last weekend to put down in a house I am selling. I would use hardwood if I was planning to stay there but since I'm putting it on the market I don't think it makes sense. The carpet needs to be replaced anyway and this will help make the room look better for the sale.

I'll let you know how it looks after I've finished the install.

I wouldn't recommend it for a bathroom or a kitchen. I also would not plan on wet mopping it. If you can keep it dry and clean, it should be pretty durable.

Tom in KY, if you have a no shoes rule in your home, it should last even longer.

This stuff is good in low volume traffic area's like Bedrooms. We just put 35year click in our Masterbed and spare bed and looks really good and is easy to do.We clean it with a "VERY" damp mop. Make sure you screw down your floor before installing any flooring.

I finished putting down the Ikea laminate this weekend. It was fairily easy to install but you have to be very gentle when bringing the edges together or they will splinter and the laminate (sticker) will split. It looks pretty good but you can really make out the seams when there is a glare from sunlight. Some of the seams are uneven by enough that you can feel it in socks but that may be because I hit the two peices together too hard when installing. It's a fine line between too hard and not moving the pieces together at all. I would estimate that the more expensive stuff would look better and go together easier.

I was able to do a 16 x 16 room from carpet pad rip out, to having the floor laid in about 10 hours. It's easily a one man job but it would go much quicker with one person cutting and the other laying and staging.

Good luck to any who attempt, send me a message if you have any questions or want more detail.

ct,
I think your question was on a particular type of Lam. The cheap stuff. I have use the cheap stuff and find it to be of very poor quality. Like mentioned the tongues chip very easily and there is no substance to the thinner Lams. If your going to live in this house spend a bit more for a better grade. It will go down better hold up better and you will be happier with the experience all around.

I looked at the cheaper lam flooring before I and my wife decided to go with the bruce lam hard wood flooring it is a glue door type but it is fairly easy to use . i would suggest you take a look at the two to three dollar a foot range for two reason one over all better product and two what they don't always tell you in the sale flyers is that 90% of the time they are running a 20%discount on wood flooring.

Back