Filling existing storage cubby in Fireplace

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c2Baz

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased a house, with a floor to ceiling wood burning fireplace on a lower level. I like the fire place, but there is an extra storage space above where the wood is stored, and I think I'd like to have it filled. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this could be accomplished without having to redo the entire fireplace?

Here is a photo

26200_338525116481_510621481_3752362_4840597_n.jpg

Wow, I'd hate to imagine the damage that heat would do to a true LCD or LED TV! You'll need some masonry work alright. I don't believe they would have to tear out the entire fireplace, however a good portion would need to be removed to properly lay the brick; and that's assuming it would look symmetrical after complete.

I think you will have a hard time matching the mortar and brick if you decide to fill in the cubby. Why not just put some shelves in there and use it for nick-knacks. Sometimes you are better leaving well enough alone. But... it's your house...

Find another big picture??

The bricks will never match the old, and the mortar will also be a different shade in time no matter how good the mason is... Other than total refacing, I would live with it.:2cents:

guys, we all miss'd this,,, what a great place for the home safe,,, failing that, howzabout a picture of a safe or a great aunt/uncle ? ? ?

Would it be possible to removed the bricks between the upper and lower holes and say place a bookshelf into the open space?

Latest posts

Back