Garaging Wiring Advice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunit

Reaction score
I was looking to see if I can get some advice from you electrical experts.

I am wanting to redo my lighting wiring in my garage. My objective is as follows (I will attach some pics so people can see what I am talking about). I have two light switches in my garage, one controls the lights inside the garage (the switch on the right), and the second switch controls the outside lights - the light in front of the garage as well as the back of the garage.

What I would like to do is to add another light switch so I can control the outside lights separate in front and in the back of the garage. Right now the left switch turns on the front AND back lights, but I would like to add a motion sensor light to the outside light facing the house, so this would entail me having to keep the light on the "ON" position for it to work at all times. So my problem right now is that I cannot do that without having my back lights on constantly. So if there was an easy way to just add another switch in so I can control the front or back lights separately, that would seem like the easiest thing to do.

Any advice on how I would do this would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

garage wiring1.jpg

garage wiring2.jpg

Inside that box you should find The black coming from the breaker, with two short wires going to the two switches. and you will find all the other black wire going to one switch or other. You will just have to find the wire to the front light and take it off the switch and connect to the incoming power black, no switch needed the front light would on all the time. If you want a switch you would move that light wire to the new box and a wire between the two boxes, black to power in ther old box 2 blacks to the new switch and tie the whites together.

And yes there can be things different in there when you open it up. Your best bet is to open it up and leave things connected but pull things out so you can see what everything is doing. Identify the light black wire and the incoming black wire. Somehow lable all the junctions and take a picture and post it.

Can you identify where those wires in the photo go?
If you have one wire going the front lights and one wire going to the back lights then it will be simple to add another switch and separate them.

Why not just install motion sensor lights on both front and back?

Back