Iowa farm boy

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoverMYhead

Reaction score
Hey dudes and ladies. New to the forum. Got a huge project I'm working on. Basically I cruise these sites and look at other peoples comments for advice. Got the app to read on the iPhone. Looking forward to being apart of your club.

Currently own a 900 sqft craftsman bungalow from 1927. I have named it the Hope House because the original owner on the deeds last name being Hope and I'm gonna need all the hope I can get to finish what I started.

did a complete gut to studs and rebuilt -very slowly to get back to atleast livable standards. New wiring, spray foam insulation, cobbled HVAC:), all pex water tubes, and of course new tounge and groove to get rid of the f#*£! floor squeaks!!

You will see me around !

Welcome. Sounds like you could lend some advice also. You have to have some war stories from the rebuild.

Gettin' N over your head makes you grow!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. I did much the same last year to an 1896 Victorian (for lack of better style name) that was owned by a hoarder and left it all.

The Hope house sounds charming and hope you feel comfortable posting photos. We all love seeing others projects. Great bunch here.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Sounds like a huge project. I have nickel and dimed myself w/this little one story. I can't imagine having to purchase lumber/aesthetics for a Victorian while staying design relevant.

-little house along a ravine amongst the trees at peace at least when the city screams-

Sounds like a huge project. I have nickel and dimed myself w/this little one story. I can't imagine having to purchase lumber/aesthetics for a Victorian while staying design relevant.

-little house along a ravine amongst the trees at peace at least when the city screams-

It was a huge project (at least for me) and cost was kept down by doing everything myself and using and reusing used materials. Craigslist was a constant source and saved tens of thousands of dollars. The easy way is to rip it down and put all new back in. That’s also the most cost effective if you are hiring the work done in most cases. That’s the point where DIY and contracting sometimes part courses. I could have never afforded someone to take all the trim down and refinish it and piece it together using parts from one room in another.

I call it a Victorian because most of the old places in this town were built in that style to some degree or another it was an era of showing off a little. Our town then was a busy and growing place being exactly half way between NYC and Chicago on the rail line. They once had 22 hotels. Now it’s like the town time forgot. We are down to one inn now.

Back