GFCI Circuit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3dognight

Reaction score
I am installing lights and outlets on my deck. I have a new sub panel with GFCI breakers. I ran a 12/3 line from the sub panel using 2 breakers. 1 line is for my hot tub and is working just fine.
I just ran a single outlet and 2 light flood light off of the second hot line. The circuit goes thru the outlet and then to a switch for the flood lights. Everything is fine until I try to turn the lights on. Then the breaker trips. If I disconnect the light fixture ( a standard wet location 2 light setup) there is no problem. The outlet works and the light switch can be turned on (which should indicate that the wiring is ok). I have tried another fixture with the same results). All of the grounds are connected. The light fixture does not have a seperate ground wire. Does this sound familiar?

Are you using two single pole GFI breakers? If so this is your problem.
You cannot use two SP's with a multi-wire (shared neutral) circuit.
You MUST use a two-pole GFCB.

The neutral of the 12/3 MUST go to the neutral connection on the breaker. The neutral wire from the breaker goes to the neutral bar.

Yes i am using 2 single pole breakers. I will get a a 2 pole breaker and let you know.

Thanks for the quick reply

I know this post is over two years old, but it makes me ask your opinion on this. I have run a 12-3 to a box and split to two seperate gfi plugs. And just tailed all my neutrals together before hooking to line side of plug. I thought they only had a problem if you touch the neutrals on load side. Is this correct? or should I look forward to some phone calls?

D, the OP was using GFI breakers.
GFI devices/receptacles work fine wired like you describe.

Back