Basement Ceiling Help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toofast

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been working away and now I am starting to insulate. I am good on the walls, but how about the basement ceiling?

Bit of background, have a newer house with poured concrete walls, and 9' ceiling.

Above the basement is living space...

I guess I have a few questions:

Sound deading might be nice to keep floors isolated - meaning if kid is playing PS3 downstairs, my wife will not want to hear it upstairs, and vice versa.

Is there a special type or is just unfaced r13 adequate? I didn't see anything at the big box stores to help me out.

If anyone needs additional info to answer, just let me know.
Thanks!

Fill the cavities with safe and sound insulation and use 5/8 drywall, and there is a metal strip you can apply to be between the drywall and the ceiling joists. Read insulation instruction on light cans if you are putting them in.

Only problem is we can not get safe and sound in the good old USA :)

Do you have any additional info on the metal strips? Is that to hold the insulation in or to isolate the drywall from the face of the joists ?

Wow, I was thinking this was an easy question .... not sure I have the coin for all this fancy stuff :)

So as an update we can get safe and sound in the US....guess I was thinking about another product. I found it as a special order at lowes - WOW is it expensive.

May not be worth it...

Do you all think just the nomal r-13/r-19 is a total waste of money well, and if I can't afford the right way, just forgo the ceiling insulation and go with 5/8" drywall ?

Try your local lumber yards for safe and sound. It shouldn't be that much more than reg bats. If not I would still fill the cavity with reg bats and check into the metal strips.

Safe N Sound is 3 times the price of regular insulation...so now I just gotta figure out if it is 3 times as quiet. Plus I can't find anyplace that sell the tracks....

I assume you mean that the safe and sound is NOT THREE times as quiet...or it is at least more than 3 times quiet, perhaps justifying the cost.

I do not think it is three times as good. We used it because the cost was close and its nicer to work with and all the hipe, but "I" don,t really know.

ok..very good...that is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for!

Thanks again!

Back