Replacing carpet with vynil tiles

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagsmode

Reaction score
Hi,

My wife and I are repairing a home that we bought that had dogs that must have peed all over the place.. Already got rid of the rugs and was looking to put down vynil tiles. Problem is the carpet tack strip is away from the chair railing (is this normal)? I was hoping to leave it, I haven't figured out how to remove it. However, if I was to leave it, the tack strip would just be sitting out in the open.

My wife suggested that I just install the vynil tile over the carpet pad...?
I'm just thinking that this would be a bad thing, but thought I'd ask here :)

thanks for any help
Glenn

Welcome Glenn:
No, the vinyl tile will not work when laid over the carpet pad. The tack strip is nailed with little 3/8" nails but there are a lot of them. It takes a flat bar to pry it up and that needs to be done, by all means.
Clean the floor up good and see if there are any joints that are open or uneven in your subfloor. You may need to lay a 1/4" underlayment over the subfloor to make it smooth. Remember, anything you can feel with your hand on the subfloor will telegraph through the vinyl tile.
If the subfloor doesn't have a pronounced grain and knotholes in it you may be able to smooth it with a floor filler compound and a belt sander.
Glenn (the other one)

I always get the pros out for carpet and vynil. They have it done sometimes cheaper than it is for me to show up for work.:)
And it's guaranteed.:)

currently, we're on a budget as I am out of work (used to say "retired", but I keep taking short jobs here and there, so call a spade a spade -grin-) so I'll be doing this myself. Guess it's back to HomeDepot for the flat bar, wonder bar, mr. good bar... :D

thanks again for the replies :)
Glenn

(the other other Glenn ... what :confused: )

Just get it as clean as you can before laying the tiles. No pad, no staples, no wide cracks, no tack strip.. Sweep it before you start and sweep it again just to be sure!

Good advice - The wonder bar and something to bang on it will be all that is needed to remove the tack strips.

I like to use underlayment. It helps smooth out a rough subfloor.

Back