interior door problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1989gta

Reaction score
i'm hanging a pre hung door after finishing and hanging the door, it sags creating a large gap at the top but the jamb is still plumb what gives?

The steps i took are as follows:

1. Placed the jamb in the rough opening, marked where the hinges will fall.
2. I screwed shims to the wall (jamb side) checking plumb with a 6 ft level
3. Placed the jamb back in the opening and secured it using 2.5 inch screws checking for plumb on both the face and the side of the jamb.
4. Hung the door back on the jamb checking the gap and the swing prior to nailing the latch side.

How do i adjust how the door sits against the jamb i need to tighten to top? You can see by the red arrows the gap is 2 or 3x's larger on the top then on the bottom.

doorpic.JPG

I've tried driving the screws on the top hinge further into the jamb. - no change
I pounded shims into the upper left hand corner shifting the jamb header it helped but was not enough.
As a last resort i will loosen the joint between the jamb header and the latch side (upper right hand corner) to gain the 1/8 inch of clearance needed unless someone has other thoughts.

Another thought but undesirable is to remove the door and increase the mortise on the top hing an 1/16 of an inch that may cause other issues.

Thanks for viewing.

Hello, If all is plumb and square then the quick fix to carry some reveal(gap) down the door is go to the bottom hinge and place small cardboard shim or shims as needed behind the hinges. This will pack the lower hinge away from the door jamb. Now granted, as long as you have enough reveal(gap) on the strike side so the door does not hit and bang. Its hard to see with your photo if you have enough of a reveal on strike side. Make sure the door is "racked" properly as well. Not sure if you know how to but just in case, measure from top left to bottom right, then measurement should be same from bottom left to top right. Hope this helps.:cool: Greg

if its a pre hung door, simply shim the bottom of the frames to take up the gap at the top.

Back