How does hot water tank warranty works?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

python01

Reaction score
I am looking at getting new hot water tank to replace the rental. All the tanks I saw have their warranty specified as 6 or 12 years but only 1 year in home service. So the 1 year in home service is pretty straight forward but what about the remainder? What do I get if it breaks 3 years after purchase?

You have to read the fine print and see exactly what the water heater company's warranties provide for. Don't be afraid to call the customer service center and ask them how their warranties work. And remember a warranty and a guarantee are two different things when purchasing manufactured items.

I think you will find that it is much like a battery, if you get 3 years with a six year warrentee, you will have to pay for the three years you got. You will pay half price for the new one.

If the heater breaks after the first year you get the repair parts for the heater or a new heater free. You have to pay the plumber his labor to repair or replace the heater plus any plumbing parts he may need. The replacement heater does not come with a brand new warranty it finishes off the reminder of the original heaters warranty. In other words if your heater started leaking at 5 years and 11 months you get a new heater free and pay labor and misc. parts. The new heater now only has a 1 month warranty.

Thanks for the info SewerRatz. I guess one more question comes to mind now, how they figure what needs to be replaced? Do I need to bring plumber in first to diagnose what the issue is? And once the parts are received can I install them myself or does it have to be done by plumber?

Depending on the manufacture of the water heater. Most want a qualified plumber to diagnose the issue, and install the replacement parts. When I do water heater warranty calls, I normally go to my plumbing supply for the repair parts and give them the part #'s along with the information of the heater. They then verify the warranty and then sell me the parts, and credit me when I return with the old parts.

Thanks for all the info, I am sure other members here will find it useful as well.

Back