A Big Fraternity Project

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

three105

Reaction score
Hey I belong to a fraternity at Oregon State University that we're gonna be remodeling a week before school. My dad is a very good contractor and said he would come down and help with everything but I thought I would get some insight from everyone here especially on my room which I may just do myself...

this is gonna be my area... as you can see I don't believe it is dry wall, I believe it is some other material that was used for the walls... (this house is very old, one of the first houses on campus at Oregon State University)

I want to rip them out and have the walls sound proofed by professionals who spray the dead proofing insulation in there, unless there is something better...
then drywall, tape, mud, sand.

and also a rough shot of the ceiling in my area...

as you can see the ceiling has some fabric probably under some particle board or something, I don't know what is above that but I think pieces are suspended by the fabric so whatever is above that must be coming apart...

So here's what I Want to do...

Rip out the walls like I said, sound proof them... take out the ceiling crap... take out whatever is under that fabric....

sound proof/insulate ceiling and walls... rip out carpet and lay down sound proofing material the vinyl stuff you can buy I think... if it's worth it (I have money to do this)

re dry wall dry wall the ceiling or whatever... rip out that old light fixture in the ceiling... maybe prepare it so I can put a light switch in that room because I want to put a sliding door when we build a wall between the rooms... there is about a 3-4 foot little divider wall that i'll rip out and build an actual wall where that was w/ a sliding door if that works...

tape mud sand prime paint everything... paint the sprinkler system to match the ceiling I guess... so probably white because I found a Wine color for the walls I like... get some cushion and white carpet to put for the floor... and a dark black sliding door...

get a new light fixture and install it...

So what do you guys think of the walls (what do you think their made out of... how would I start to rip them out... building a wall I think would be okay but how would I need to build the wall w/ a sliding door in mind... is there any way I could install a light switch for that area because the light switch controlls both lights on either side of the whole room and since I put the wall up with the sliding door it'll be like two rooms... what about the ceiling, etc... can I have a rough outline?)

The other side of the room looks like this...

I'm not as worried because it's not my side... I just wanna rip that wood off if I can... if I can sand down the material on the walls on the right, which is probably behind the wood on the left too... I want to... for a smooth finish to paint... and I would also wanna do the ceiling the same way as my side...

It's pretty much the same situation I think... and what about drywalling the ceiling with the sprinkler system there like that... ???

going on to other area's of the house...

our shower... falling apart pretty much...

would I need to just rip out all the old tile and then probably sand down the old grout or something? My dad will probably help with this but just looking for input...

no this is not my stuff in there right now it is someone living in the house over summer... none of our guys are there it's basically an apartment over summer so don't judge by the alc!

Back