inexpensive book cases

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
My wife has books all over the house. I purchased a couple of Ikea book cases a few yrs. back but they are cheap and filled up. I would like something a little more sturdier but not too expensive.would it be cheaper to purchase or build my own. thanks

Depending on skill level and tools availibe you can do pretty good with mdf or like product, but if your buying real would at retail, it's hard to compete. I would be looking for a deal or evan look for used.

I built a very nice bookshelf/entertainment center. Probably saved a couple hundred bucks. And I got cubbies where I Wanted them and how big I wanted them.

I think if you want to save money you had better make it by yourself. DIY a bookcase is easy , you can do it. Good luck!

If you haven't already made it by now, I would recommend the approach of making it yourself. I like the customization options of building stuff like that yourself :)

staples has nice ones that are pretty good quality

i would build your own. you can design it how you want, how big, what color....etc. and it will be more memorable. something you can give family members years from now....."so and and so made this in our family...."

Looks like the overwhelming favorite is to build one. This is definitely good if you want to make something exactly the way you want it, but you have find good bookshelves for cheap if you want something easy. I found one for my son's room for about $80 that looks nice and is fairly strong.

I would look around some of the pottery warehouses in your area. You could come across some interesting finds.

Latest posts

Back