Deck to Support Soft Side Pool

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark C

Reaction score
Hello. My first post here. Nice to have a resource for help with this issue.

We have an Intex 12' x 36" soft side pool and no level ground to place it on. We made do with a side yard last year but we had several "tsnaumis" down the back of the property when we pressed too hard against the lower side of the pool.

I want to build a deck in the backyard that can not only serve as level ground for the pool but be used in the fall and winter for an outdoor seating area.

The pool holds over 1700 gals or a bit over 7 tons. Is it possible to build a deck that can support that much weight over a 12' footprint? The deck itself will be larger which I guess works in my favor as I've read that the pressure from the pool is exerted from the center outward at a 45 degree angle...so the wider the deck, the better.

My guess is that this is well beyond the design considerations of a standard deck. Framing 12" on center with 12" members should do it. 4" x 6" piers seem like a good idea too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the area that we want to build on. It has a pretty good slope and leveling with dirt isn't an option because it continues to roll off even faster out of frame to the left. We would need a serious retaining wall to hold the fill.

side_yard.jpg

This is one of the many reasons I am looking into purchasing an above ground pool other than a under ground pool, it is really handy. When it is summer have the pool out, winter comes clean it, store it make room in the back for a nice seating area, maybe if there are kids it would be a nice play area for them in the winter make a couple of snowman, snow angels etc. I'm going to be purchasing mine from a friend for a reasonable price so I'm ready for the spring/summer.

Yes, decks are a marvelous way to enjoy above ground pool. By placing a relaxing deck around our pool we can extend our pool side leisure time. Decks are not difficult to install and the time taken to put one in will be extremely rewarding over the lifespan of our pool.

Back