Can someone tell me what these lines are going into these furnaces? Pics Included

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amodoko

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a basic DIY guy here. Have a couple of questions about these two furnaces at my parents' place. The furnaces are gas furnaces, but can people identify what the lines are in the photos I've attached? I'm trying to figure out what each line is and what it carries. There are a total of 6 things I point to in the photos.

I know this is very basic stuff, but I don't know much about HVAC stuff. Thanks a bunch for the help in advance.

IMG_20120807_232946.jpg

IMG_20120807_233006.jpg

1. power conduit. holds electrical wires.
2,3 not sure. Could be water for humidifier and drain for AC.
4,5,6 are the refrigerant lines for the AC.
4 is a part called a dryer on the AC lines. It's a sort of filter for the refrigerant.

Last edited:
Thanks JoeD, I appreciate it. Is the gas line not pictured at all in the two photos? If it is, can you identify it?

I was thinking it may be the line to the left of the number 1 label, right?

3 could be the gas line but I never saw an insulated gas line. Follow the pipes back and see where they go.
2 is too small for gas and looks like some water leakage/corrosion at the fitting. It could be humidifier water although I find it strange to be running inside like that. Humidifiers are often just mounted on the outside of the duct work.
Can you take a picture from further back so we get an over all view of the unit.

I don't think 2 is a drain line, it would have to be ran down not up.
Humidifier is common to have poly tube versus copper but, not out of the question.
I don't think 3 is a gas line, usually is black pipe.
What's at the other end of 2&3?
What make/model is this unit?

An insulated line (#3) usually suggests coolant line for the AC. Why not just get the Make and Model and find a schematic on-line? It would end the guessing! :D

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm not at my parents' home at the moment, but when I get there I will let you guys know the make and model. I'm sure after all the information you have given me I can just look at it now and confirm what the lines are. Thanks again.

Is this all one unit? The top picture looks to be on top of the heating section suggesting it could be cooling. I can see the flue vent beside the lines in question. Could be cooling but normally only two lines are used for cooling and we have identified cooling in the other picture.

I believe the two furnaces are one unit furnaces that cool and heat. You are right, the top picture is the top of one of the two furnaces and looks to be responsible for cooling, while I am pretty sure the bottom part had the heating section. The second picture was just a crappy quick photo of the refrigerant line in and suction out of the second furnace based on what people have said.

OK so there are two furnaces. Then the lines are probably a second set of AC lines to the second furnace. I thought we were talking about one unit here.

HAHAHA . . . This thread reminds me of the blind men trying to describe the elephant by touching it. Everyone has a different take . . . An exploded parts diagram will settle this discussion in seconds. Go on the web and find it.... :)

Hahaha, that's hilarious! Sorry, I had mentioned the two furnaces in the original post but I should have emphasized it a bit more, my fault. Thanks for everyone's help:) I'll repost with better pics when I get the chance and I'll label them correctly just for kicks

Hey guys, finally got some photos of the two furnaces in full:) The only thing I really think I need to comment on is that a solid pipe is actually going into each of the sides of the furnaces, and I believe that is the actual gas line. Was in a rush so just took the photos and left.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The solid pipe is gas. Copper is NOT used on gas, so it is water feed or drain line or coolant.

Hope that helps.

Second from bottom picture is gas and electrical. The green hose looking line is probably the drain for the AC.
The picture above with the red shut off is the gas line.

The clear hose in the top picture is the AC drain. You can see the red gas shut off again in that picture on the left.
The big green lump in the next picture is the humidifier. The line going to that will be a water line.

Back