Laser levels?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaskBoy

Reaction score
What do you folks prefer: auto level or user/bubble level? I'd use it for anything from picture hanging to finish cabinetry to tile work. I'm using a borrowed BDL400S Bullseye Crosshair Auto Level ($39) at the moment. It's ok. .. I was looking at a Stanley Fat Max with a tripod at HD today ($59, not auto level). Thanks.

What is this...and Austin Powers episode??:D

I have a 5 way laser, it tells up, down, straight line and 90 degrees.
There are plenty of new ones out there, most are OK.
Get the self leveling types, the ones on bubbles are trying to match the accuracy of a transit but miss the mark.

I Love mine because when I do a large home with 20 foot ceilings I can find the center of the ceiling by laying it out on the floor first.

Have fun with it, and keep it away from your eyes.

I have always used the traditional bubble levels, but recently was working with a friend who had a laser level. I was pretty impressed with the laser level.

I got a cheap ($40) stanely laser level with the bubbles on it for dropping my ceiling, It worked great all i had to do was push the board up so the laser just missed it or was barely touching and screw them in place. I'm sold on the laser. and if you are doing any dirt work, those self leveling lasers are the way to go. It makes it so that you can shoot the field by yourself.

I still use the spirit level for small jobs.

Recently I used a laser level on a tripod for putting up a garage on a sloping block and getting all the hole depths correct and making steel footing extensions to suit so that all minimum depths were adhered to. The garage was quite large and was assembled by 3 of us in panel sections, we dropped the panels in (footings and framework attached), everything lined up great.

I'd highly recommend a laser level for bigger jobs, you can leave it set up and check / double check as you go.

Laser levels can be great. Be sure to read all the disclaimers on the package before buying. I have seen some read "Accurate within 1/4" in 30 feet". This is fine if thats all you need to be.

Back