Stripping trim

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatyE

Reaction score
I am getting ready to strip several layers of paint and stain from some original wood trim in our 1890 house. I already have it off the walls, as I had to repair some water damage in our front entryway.
I'm trying to decide whether I should use a chemical stripper, or try using map gas, as I saw once in a restoration project. Anyone tried the latter? Opinions?
Also, if I like what I see and decide to stain the trim, I will probably want to get to the rest of the house eventually. Is there a good way to strip woodwork without removing it from the plaster walls? The walls are in good shape, and I'm afraid that I'd ruin them if I tried to get the trim off.

Sanding will create alot of airborne dust and be somewhat labor intensive.
Chemical stipper will be messy and require some masking on the plaster wall and the floor surface. Also, perform a lead based paint test before you start you project.
MAPP gas can be an option if your careful but, do it with plenty of ventilation.
If you test positive of lead based paint, your best bet would be to replace the molding.

Back