Building Codes? We don't need no stinking building codes!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carcosa

Reaction score
I've decided that I can salvage a couple of floor joists from the house I'll be renovating. Everything else will have to get re-worked; this includes plumbing, electric, roofing, and anything else you can name.

My impression is that I can use the 2006 International Residential Code supplemented by the Kentucky Residential Code Update. Am I correct in using these references or is there some other documentation I should be using?

It sounds like you are in Jefferson County or Fayette County. If it has to be inspected by a Kentucky Building Inspector, yes you definitely should use both codes. And, where ever there is a conflict, go with the Kentucky Update.
I am a Kentucky Master Plumber and I know first-hand, they don't want to hear anything but the code book. Their position is, you may not be the only one to live in that house; the average turnover time on a house is 5-1/2 years. So, they are protecting the future owners as well as you.
Glenn

You may not too many responses to your question, because many people do not want to waste their time on a project that could end up bad or unsafe because of code violations.

Dick

Thanks, Glenn. The house is in Gallatin. The renovation will be extensive and I wanted to make sure I was pulling requirements from the correct documents - otherwise, everything will be out of whack.

Jim

Back