Celing Fan Wiring Help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmkcpa

Reaction score
I am wiring a ceiling fan with power (14-2) at the ceiling and 14-3 going down to the switch. There is a wall socket the also needs to be connected below the switch(es). I have left the WHITE (Common) from the 14-2 power open to use with the ceiling fan. I have attached the WHITE (14-3) to the BLACK (14-2 power). The WHITE (as a HOT) is connected to one side of a double, single pole switch (brass screw side). The BLACK & RED are connected to the silver screw side of the switch(es) and are going back to the ceiling for the light/fan power. The base plug is below the switch. Can I hook the WHITE (common on the base plug) to the "open" brass screws on the HOT side of the switch? The BLACK is pigtailed to to the WHITE (as a HOT) before it connects to the switch. If I connect the WHITE (Common for the base plug), will that complete the circuit and have constant power?

My take on what you have is power to the ceiling, and a switch loop for power to the fan and light on separate lines. From the switch loop, you want to power an outlet.

If that is right, you do not have enough wires. The switch loop needs a hot, and 2 returns (one for light and one for fan). An outlet can then only be in series with either the fan or light. You will need to run a dedicated wire from the source (ceiling junction box) to the outlet, or run 14-4 as the switch loop.

Why would you use the white as a hot on a 14/3 wire?
Seems like your just confusing the situation.
What I would do is connect the black of the 14/2 to the black of the 14/3 and then run the black 14/3 down to a pigtail in the switch box, that would connect one tail to the switch and the other tail to the outlet. Then pigtail the 14/2 at the ceiling. One tail for the ceiling fan's white wire and one tail to the white of the 14/3 and run that directly to the outlet. Use the red in the 14/3 as the return to the ceiling fan's black wire. This will give you and unswitched outlet and a switch ceiling fan.

You can't do it. You do not have a neutral wire in the switch box. You will need give up one of your switches to use the wire as hot and use the white as neutral. Then use the other (red) wire as the single switched wire.

If want two switches to control the fan/light then you need to run another cable to the receptacle.

Back