re bathroom refit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeda

Reaction score
We are having our bathroom refurbished and the plumber has just installed the new toilet on a porcelain tiled floor It looks great but the sealant between the pan and flooring spoils the effect. Is this necessarry? Are there any other alternatives ? thanks

Your plumber did the right thing by caulking the toilet around the base.
Whether it was neatly done I can't see from here...
The alternatives are clear or color matching caulks...

There may have been problems with the tile that left gaps at the bottom of the toilet. If so, he may have used shims to make it level and the sealant is covering the shims. You can use sealants or grout around the bottom of the bowl and there are color choices available. I recommend not sealing the rear portion of the bowl so if there is a leak, you will know it before it rots the subfloor out.

Thanks really appreciate your feedback and quick response.

I've always been of the opinion that it's better to caulk around the floor flange than around the base of the toilet. Caulking the flange prevents water from getting under some floorings, like sheet vinyl. Caulking the toilet base can prevents you from noticing a leaking wax seal until you start seeing water damage on the ceiling below.

I've always been of the opinion that it's better to caulk around the floor flange than around the base of the toilet. Caulking the flange prevents water from getting under some floorings, like sheet vinyl. Caulking the toilet base can prevents you from noticing a leaking wax seal until you start seeing water damage on the ceiling below.

This has been hashed out at least once on another thread, but I agree with Nestor. I also agree with the poster that I think caulking around the toilet base looks tacky. Of course if there are some big shims under the base you want to hide them. :2cents:

Caulking the toilet as I specified is dictated by code for sanitary reasons.

Another reason is to prevent water from many misc. reasons such as spills, mopping, and bad aim from getting under the toilet where it will corrode the painted steel ring on the closet flange. Every rusted out ring I ever saw was on a toilet that hadn't been caulked.

Caulking the bowl is a local code requirement in some areas. it is not required nationwide. I have worked in 3 states and only commercial operations have mandated sealing the bowl.

Back