Swing set in covered patio

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you guys! I still need to remove the trim and see what I find. I'll do that this weekend most likely. The garage right behind this porch is all dimensional lumber, so I assumed that was the case for the beam. Will see.

bud16415 comment about tossing a rope around a tree limb gave me and idea: How about instead of attaching from underneath the beam, pass a tow rope over it, between the ceiling trim and the vertical trim covering the beam? I am reattaching the photo from the original post. The tow rope would just surround the beam trim.

But I see some issues... the trim will get smashed and would also need to protect it from frictions with the trim... so not sure...

IMG_0637.jpg

So let's assume for a second that you're smart enough to keep an eye out for movement in the posts, and you're smart enough to make sure your anchors are secured to solid wood, and you're smart enough to abandon the idea if it starts to look shaky. And let's all assume that it's gonna be an adult swing and not used wildly.
Well then, invest in those swing hangers and enjoy it!

Thank you guys! I still need to remove the trim and see what I find. I'll do that this weekend most likely. The garage right behind this porch is all dimensional lumber, so I assumed that was the case for the beam. Will see.

bud16415 comment about tossing a rope around a tree limb gave me and idea: How about instead of attaching from underneath the beam, pass a tow rope over it, between the ceiling trim and the vertical trim covering the beam? I am reattaching the photo from the original post. The tow rope would just surround the beam trim.

But I see some issues... the trim will get smashed and would also need to protect it from frictions with the trim... so not sure...

If you are taking trim off for a look see, grab a few Simpson flat straps to join the beam to the post, 3 inch nails.

flat straps.jpg

With 8 fasteners you may have a "graceful failure" where the users sense that something is wrong.

"Tested and rated to 350 lbs.; actual weight limit according to ASTM standards is 105 lbs. maximum"
implies a safety factor of 350/105 equals about 3.5. The industry wide factor shown on the Hillman Hardware site was 4, I think.

The fasteners for very heavy chandeliers that could land on someone have a lot higher safety factor.

But, you could always just count bodies. . .
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q="tombstone+agency"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I would think the weak point in those would be the Carabiners not the other hardware. I don't have that particular brand, but I've had three people on my swing with no ill effects. I linked to those because they were what came up when I searched lowes.com. I would trust them a lot more than a single eyebolt. Might replace the lag screws with something heavier.

Of course you don't have to hang it from the beam. you could set it back a bit and hang it from the joists (assuming there are joists) which make the ceiling of that porch.

Carabiners are available in a variety, from those novelty employed as key rings, to tow chain connectors.

I have one that has a bottle opener molded into it.

Why depend on the pull out strength of your fasteners in the wood when sheer is so much stronger.

mounted hook.jpg

Or, a shackle setup where the pin goes through the beam and the rest hangs down. No fasteners at all. :)

d shackle.jpg

Last edited:
Back