Are you required to use water resistant sheetrock in a kitchen?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The contract isn't going to add anything of substance to this, unless of course you think i am lying. The only thing in the contract that really comes into play is the payment schedule and completion date.

As well as the start date and the rescissionary notice.

So you've been to the License Board site and you know how this business is held, if there are any disciplinary actions pending, and under what conditions a deposit can be demanded, and you were advised of your right to have payments directed from an escrow account.

And the plans and spec - again, no relevance to anything i said, other than the island being 4 inches shorter than what it was supposed to be.

Everything about a project gone bad is a learning experience.

Although I don't think it can hurt to make those documents publically available so I'll upload them to the site later today.

Be sure and redact your information.

I honestly don't know if you think are you are being helpful or if you are trolling people.

I've been at it over 35yrs, and warranty my work as long as that customer resides in that dwelling.

So you might want to reconsider how you approach people - even if your words are informative, if you are insulting people and turning them away, then your words are mostly wasted.

Not a one have asked for absolution for making bad decisions, because all I ever ask is the true whole story.

And I'm going to unsubscribe from getting notifications on this thread since I don't really think anything productive will come from continuing to discuss this with you (snoonyb) and it's largely off topic at this point.

That's your choice, or, you could consider the last statement from my last answer,
for the edification of others.

Merk; don't post the documents. You have a vulture...errr, I mean lawyer circling you and you don't want to give him/her any more ammunition.

So, why don't you share the name of the contractors law firm?

Unless of course, it's just another spurious, unfounded, erroneous assumption.

Whaaaaat?????? Are you just swinging at everybody now? You are so defensive about this, that I wonder if you are involved.

So, I was correct, just another spurious, unfounded, erroneous assumption.

:confused:

Why do you feel the OP is a knucklehead?

Consumers are taken everyday by shady/unqualified contractors.

QUOTE]

You misunderstood ... I was calling the contractor a knucklehead.

You also had no call to make this personal. We all have fun here and share our expertise with people in need.

Sometimes I feel certain folks in here become quite defensive as if they are one of these shyster contractors themselves. I had an active situation regarding a contractor, which is still quite active, but I won't post anything in here because I don't want to deal with certain defensive members.

Sometimes I feel certain folks in here become quite defensive as if they are one of these shyster contractors themselves. I had an active situation regarding a contractor, which is still quite active, but I won't post anything in here because I don't want to deal with certain defensive members.

Well stated, from someone who has little to no knowledge of residential construction other than to, rely upon the government, by default, as the solution to all ills.

At the expense of personal responsibility.

I see all this as an a homeowner that did not do any homework and signed into a contract with no plans or specs on the project with a bad contractor.

Even once begun the homeowner still kept giving money for items not done yet. That is the leverage a homeowner has. One would have to be proactive in that regard and tell the contractor to clean up his mess before payment or verify things are done first.

Homeowner should have never gotten involved with inspection process and managing subs. With a proper inspection it makes sure things are done to code.

For things like a window replaced not in contract. Simply refuse to pay for it. There is no contract. As a contractor you can't just show up and work and send a bill. Have to have things in writing.

This project was just a mess from day one on both sides.

I doubt I would let someone tear out my kitchen and rip off my porch before we even agreed on what we were going to do with them.

Good point, Chris.
I think he's learned his lesson and won't be repeating the mistake.
Meanwhile, the contractor will continue to do this to people so long as they are unaware of his practices-- if he keeps his license.

Even if he loses his license, there is no telling if that will stop the contractor. The lack of a license didn't stop him from starting on this project.

The difficulty in both pursuing these unscrupulous individuals legally, and via the state licensing bureaus, is that the very next day they can reappear and continue their illicit operation.

While pontificating on social media will have some salutary appeal, it won't get your project completed, it won't get any of the contractor failings corrected or cured and it won't get any of your monies returned.You may have alerted some folks about that business enterprise.

What it does accomplish, is to reduce your negotiating position.

The state board may or may not factor the license, may or may not suspend the license bond, may or may not compile a list of corrective actions.

With any action taken by the state board, including suspension, once the contractor has complied and not committed any additional infractions, full reinstatement can be granted.

Unbeknownst to this OP and another, there is a process that is dictated by the results you wish to obtain, based upon the legitimate loses that have been realized, and having something other then a rudimentary knowledge of the system, helps.

I agree, the way the HO went about it is not helping the situation in anything except he will feel a little better. In all reality the only thing that is going to get items fixed properly is an inspector and holding money until things are done especially in CA. I see that the contractor was licenses somewhere around 2013 so he at least has a couple years under his belt. Problem is that in CA it is far too easy to get a license and far too easy to jump around and keep or get new licensing.

While the license board in every state can access fees, ON THEIR BEHALF, not the injured party, an attny. can and will negotiate for a financial recovery both from insurance and personal, and depending upon the nature of the action may penetrate a corporate vail.

Pursuit to that depth will seldom happen via the state board, in residential, in other words, it's not worth their time.

Here is a resource available in every state;http://www.thebluebook.com Search term;Lawyer.

There is no debtors prison for the private sector.

I have been burned by contractors myself and also property owners. Never have I seen a dime from any of it. It's cheaper to just not fight it. Only people getting rich are lawyers.

I think the Op's other motive was to shout loudly about this guy. This thread will also serve as a warning - to anyone who reads it - about being cautious when hiring.

There are no dumb questions and because you don't know, what you don't know, asking will broaden your understanding.

Back