drill hole through foundation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analogmusicman

Reaction score
I'm going to install a bath fan in my basement bath and it looks like the only way to put the vent to the outside is through the foundation wall. what's the best way to bore a 4" hole through the concrete?

tnx,

Yes, it is common to drill through the wall. You can rent a drill with a bit to do this quite easily if you do not own one. You can drill multiple small holes around the circle or use a bigger hole saw and cut it all at once. Make sure you properly seal the hole once your conduit is in place.

Here is a video that should help give you courage .... He talks funny but you get the idea. (ALWAYS wear ear protectors too)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Pj9zzPN0s[/ame]

I would come up between two floor joist and drill through the wood sheathing.

Got a picture so we can see why your trying to do it that way?
Drilling through the rim joist in most cases is the best way.
PS your going to need a 4-1/4" hole to do this, not 4".
What type siding do you have?

it's a solid concrete wall. I actually did this once before but it was about 1.5" and may have been lucky to not hit rebar. is rebar commonly used in residential foundations?

Wouldn't the rebar be located on the top of the cross ties that hold the forms together? If so, you ought to be able to avoid the horizontal stuff anyway. You can see remnants of the cross ties in the concrete.

Depending on where the house is and the forces that the engineer was trying to counter, you could find any amount of steel in a concrete wall, I diamond coring bit will cut it.
The other thing to watch out for, some times power comes from the road and the breaker box is is in the basement, they protect the cable by burying it in the wall.

Back