Total Newbie needs direction

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxmillan

Reaction score
I am absolutely new to any type of renos and construction. I've never remodelled or repaired anything before. However, I have attempted to fix odd things on my own and my brother is there whenever I need advice.

However, I wll be moving back into my childhood 1919 house. It has been used as rental for many years and I want to do a few things on my own as I cannot afford labour cost. I want to add and change some things for now until the big raising and gutting of the house in the future of which I will hire professionals.

So the changes and additions I want to make will just have to look good for a few short years and will not be a big investment.

Can you suggest any series of books or manuals I should invest in when it comes to installing extra outlets, lighting, painting, etc. I want pictures and very clear concise explanations to go along with diagrams. I have checked out You Tube and other links but but would like books for future references.

Any lead to other sites and resources is greatly appreciated. I feel this is a good time to jump on the reno bandwagon as I'm sure there are lots of people out there with stories of their beginnings.

:welcome: First of all.:D

Sounds like a fun project, everyone needs to learn.
home improvement has a good book out there.
As far as what the professionals are doing and for really good trade practices,
I would go with JLC Online - Home
Also. my favorite place is the local library. If I find something I like in a book, I photocopy the page.and it is fareeeeee.
Happy reading.:)

Good recommendations above. Another good resource is to go to Amazon books, read reviews for plumbing , electrical, etc books and then buy the book you want used, online. You can often get books for a little over $5 a piece. Rex Cauldwell is a favorite author for electrical and plumbing , for me.

I like this search engine for used books.

BookFinder.com: Search for New & Used Books, Textbooks, Out-of-Print and Rare Books

Also. my favorite place is the local library. If I find something I like in a book, I photocopy the page.and it is fareeeeee.
Happy reading.:)

I totally agree on this. I don't know if this is a common trend with libraries, but if there is a book I would like and they don't have it, I can request the library purchase the book and usually within a week they have it in.

So nice to ask someone else to buy a book for you :D

Latest posts

Back