caulking window well?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmqmqm

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just wondering if I need to caulk the side of the window well...

The concrete seems to be peeling off along the window well...

Please see the picture.

Thanks a lot!

Paul

1.jpg

As you can see some of the stucco has water behind it or in it. Whether thats a leak or water wicking up in the foundation, you will be better off to leave it open to dry

As you can see some of the stucco has water behind it or in it. Whether thats a leak or water wicking up in the foundation, you will be better off to leave it open to dry

Thanks again Nealtw!

That's just rain water. the picture was taken not too long after some rain.

When it dries up, should I seal the gap? It looks like a pretty big gap with the stucco starting to peel off.

If so, what material should I use? Just a tube of caulking? Or some concrete?

Thanks!

Paul

Code says you should have 6" to 8" of concrete showing between siding and the gound level. We see lots of older houses with stucco like yours, with the stucco down to goundlevel and I'm not sure if that would be allowed today. So seeing a little concrete there dosn't bother me as much as the water showing up in the cracks by the window. There is wood around the window that needs to be protected from water. There are caulks you can use on concrete but I think you will have to waite untill it's dry. I would be giving the inside of that window a close inspection and if that been framed with treated lumber it can handle some water but if it's wet under there and non treated you may have a bigger problem.

Back