porcelin tile grout sealer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnie1a

Reaction score
I need to seal the grout in my new shower. All the sealants that I find advertised are for ceramic tile or stone tile. Cannot find anything for porcelin tile. Any suggestions on where to look?

I don't think it makes any difference because it's the grout you're sealing and that's the same either way... unless you used epoxy grout in which case you don't need a sealer.

Good housekeeping helps. Always wipe the walls after a shower and use the vent fan to get moisture out. My two showers have a good low flow shower head too. It puts the water on the user and puts very little anywhere else. It also has a bypass valve if one likes to save on hot water.

Your sealing the grout, not the porcelain tile. The tile probably won't accept any sealer. The tile has a glaze over it already.
You should seal the grout lines. Aquamix makes an excellent sealer product and can be found at any good tile specialty stores.

As mentioned Glazed tile does not need a sealer but the grout does so just seal the grout at least twice and then once a year 2 tops.

If you use a quality sealer, you'll only need to apply two coats and need to reseal after 15-20 years.

Back