Basement foundation/walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny582

Reaction score
When i bought my house three years ago, i was told i needed to put in 6 more beams in my basement to prevent the walls from bowing in anymore. Though it hasn't got much worse since, i got an estimate to put in more beams. I have two already on the wall on the left but none on the other three walls. The basement guy who came out said they should be no more than 6-8 feet apart to be effective however the one wall with only two seems to be fine. So the estimate he gave me was for 12 beams because of the size of my basement. Will i be okay with just two on the other walls a piece or is he right on saying 6-8 feet distance is necessary.

This is a major structural support issue, what you really need is an engineer to tell you what is acceptable.
No one here knows what the load paths of the home are, and how much is your house and family worth?
You may be only one snowstorm away from collapse.....:hide:

well how do i go about finding an engineer to look at my basement for an affordable price in Columbus, OH.

Start making some calls, and stop at the local lumber yard. they may have folks who can help with your issue.
For something like this, you really need someone to be there, looking at it. Your guy who stopped by is most likely correct, but get more advice to be on the safe side.
The load path is the important part, And pics would help.:):)

Latest posts

Back