Chamberlain Liftmaster Garage Door Opener - problems

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flightsport

Reaction score
The other night we might have suffered a lightening strike during a bad storm. The GFCI that is on the same circuit that my garage door openers are plugged in to was tripped and would not reset, so I replaced the faulty GFCI and restored power to that circuit. One of the door openers worked perfectly, the other only worked in the up direction. I reengaged the shuttle when the door was down, and it lifted the door just fine, it just will not go down. Only a click is heard from the motor when the button on the remote for the wall is pressed, no flashing lights, just a click. The door opener worked perfectly prior to the GFCI interruption. The odd thing is power was never lost to the house, no blinking clocks, just a bad GFCI and a fried 42 inch plasma TV (but that will have to be a different thread). Please see the video below....any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq_CxeTXoSM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Flight,
after watching your video, you mentioned your safety eyes were ok, is the led light on each lit and glowing steady? If they are, and you are getting the same click response from your wall station button, the lightning might have fried the circuit board inside the opener head. I wouldn't worry about where the trolley stopped in relation to the other door, that's just a matter of where the limit control is set. Also, you won't be able to move the chain by hand like you mentioned. Gear types in the opener head prevent freewheeling. How old is your opener?
Mike Hawkins:)

Mike, thanks for the reply. I spoke with tech support this morning at Chamberlain. as suspected the electrical storm fried the logic board. the very nice lady had me observe the sequence of flashes from the green LED beneath the light cover on the head. cost to replace is about a hundred bucks after shipping. cost at Home Depot for a new setup is about a hundred thirty bucks. I'm going with a new setup and will use part as needed.

Bottom line: 5 flashes from the green LED indicates a fried logic board.

Tip: invest in garage door opener surge protectors, about $25 each.

Latest posts

Back