Light Switch Wiring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So are you saying that code now disallows power originating at the light? Also are multi wire branch circuits with a shared neutral also now disallowed?

I was following this thread a little and I also at first missed that this switch was a special device that could be remotely operated. When I figured out what it was I just assumed it wasn’t that it needed a neutral so much to work but that it needed its own source of power to keep it active and waiting to be turned on. The attachment is to small for me to really read all of what it says.

Code does require arc fault protection throughout the house now, and anyone who has installed those breakers on a multi wire branch circuit with a shared neutral has discovered a lot of nuisance tripping.

If it is not needed then you just cap it off for possible future use.

Wow that’s new to me. Learn something every day.

So the wire you run is it the 3 conductor red, black, white with a ground or is there some special wire for these runs? In a single box I cant see what the future use could ever be .

Code does require arc fault protection throughout the house now, and anyone who has installed those breakers on a multi wire branch circuit with a shared neutral has discovered a lot of nuisance tripping.

So are most people now not using any multi wire branch circuits for that reason in new construction?

Wow that’s new to me. Learn something every day.

So the wire you run is it the 3 conductor red, black, white with a ground or is there some special wire for these runs? In a single box I cant see what the future use could ever be .

It's part of the new code requiring neutrals at almost all switches. There are a few exceptions. Also your local may not have adopted that part of the code, so it may not be a requirement where you live.

So are most people now not using any multi wire branch circuits for that reason in new construction?

When I worked for a residential electrical contractor about a year or so ago, with new construction we began phasing out the multi wire branch circuits with a shared neutral for anything that was required to be arc fault protected. We also began running regular 3 wire (black, red, white, ground) to switch banks. We were following the 2011 code at that time. The 2014 code now requires the entire house to be arc fault protected.

It should still say something on the label and in the instructions, it's not like everone has or wants to rewire their switch legs.

Didn't want to start a new thread for a quick question. Just bought this outlet with USB built into it. It doesn't have the normal connections. My question is do you just group all the black wires together and put a cap on them and the same for the ground and white. Thanks for any help.

IMG_0175.jpg

I'm pretty sure it is. Ive added one of these to another room but someone else put it in. But he didn't say any problems installing it.

Back