Life of my Heat/Air unit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house92

Reaction score
I had an outside combo heat & air unit installed in 1998. It was used regularly until 2004, and then sat idle, due to nobody living in the house, until late 2010.
That is about 9 years of actual use. Would this unit still have the life left of any other 9 year old unit, or could the years of sitting idle have created corrosion and break-down that could lead it to an earlier grave?

Any ideas? When discussing issues with the unit, everyone wants to know how old it is, which is around 15 years old, but it hasn't been in operation all those years. So, does that make in difference in it's lifespan? Should I assume it is like any other 15 year old unit, or take into consideration that it's only been used for 9 years?

House, one thing you have to remember is that anything mechanical does not benefit from sitting idle. Seals, gaskets, oils that were once in use are now left to the elements of heat, UV, cold and animals/bugs that can cause problems. Does the unit run when its turned on?

House, one thing you have to remember is that anything mechanical does not benefit from sitting idle. Seals, gaskets, oils that were once in use are now left to the elements of heat, UV, cold and animals/bugs that can cause problems. Does the unit run when its turned on?

Yes, it works great. I had to have a few things worked on during the winter, but it has worked fine since, both heat and air.

Latest posts

Back