Need feedback regarding stain brand and process for restaining

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvonne8888

Reaction score
Hi. Can you help me decide which stain would work best for me and the process it will take?

First off, I live in NE Ohio (Cleveland, OH area).

I have an old deck. The last stain that was applied a couple years ago is peeling and wearing off. Unfortunately I do not know what kind of stain was used. It appears to be solid - not too much natural wood grain showing through (other than where worn). It would probably be difficult to get every bit of stain off the deck.

Which stain would be best to use in this situation and what would the process need to be.

Please see photos for a clear idea of what the deck currently looks like (and condition of stain). Maybe someone can tell what type of stain it is.

DECK PHOTO 2.jpg

deck photo 3.jpg

deck photo 4.jpg

DECK PHOTO.jpg

Welcome to the forum and thanks for starting this thread. I was about to start one myself soon. I live just east of you around Erie and have a very much similar deck I need to do something with soon. Mine was never stained though and yours looks like it had a high pigment stain almost like a paint put on. I have been looking and asking questions but haven’t found the answer yet. Hopefully we will get some answers from some of the guys here.

Last fall I pressure washed mine and I would suggest you start there as well. Be very careful of the pressure and the tip you use as it’s easy to rip into the wood too much. It will surprise you how much of that will come off I’m thinking.

After that you need a warm dry spell to get the wood dried back before you proceed. If you like the full coverage look there are a lot of those out there and plan on it soaking up a lot the first coat. It is a much better deal to buy all these products in the big 5 gallon can. In my case I want something more transparent with a little colorant to darken the finish.

I know from a family members bad experience not to use pure linseed oil as it looks great the first year but then turns the deck quite dark. I have been told by another family member who has a beautiful deck that’s about 20 years old he uses a product that does have linseed in it but also a bunch of other things for UV and to prevent stuff from growing on the surface. All the products he suggested are no longer made so I’m looking for something similar or a recipe to make my own.

Let’s see what the forum suggests.

OP,
I've done a few that bad over the years. After a careful powerwash and several good drying days my go to product would be Ben Moore Arborcoat solid applied according to package directions. Several years ago before the EPA ruined then effectively eliminated oil based decking stain I would have used an oil based stain, again in solid in your case. You'll never get enough of the existing stain off to make a semi-transparent a workable solution.

Yvonne,

The pix tell me some of your deck boards will require replacement, so be prepared for that. If pressure-washing doesn't cut it, there's always the option of renting a walk-behind sander to take off as much of the existing stain as possible. Resetting attachment nails/screws may be required first, to prevent any of them close to surface-level from chewing up the sanding belts.

P.S. You have a beautiful name.

Latest posts

Back