Question - Flashing leak & wall damage in home

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nucleus

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I bought a foreclosed 2 year old brick home in Madison Ms.
The home has been vacant for 6 months
My inspector informed me of a step flashing that needed repair, and I just got it repaired before moving in.
We knew of some slight staining on the baseboard at the top and bottom of the wall, and thought we could paint with kilz and repair and sheetrock with mud.
I have noticed if I smell under the baseboard on the wall where the flashing leaked I can smell a musty smell. Is this something I sholud worry about? Also i can smell the musty smell on the joining wall that has a large window on the outside wall of the home.

Im hoping since the leak has been replaced there will be no other major repairs needed to be done.

Any recomendations or help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Well, you might have mold or mildew growing behind the wall; which can lead to some serious issues in the future. I know there are some misty sprays that can be sprayed behind the wall to kill off this growth if it's not that bad and save lots of the expensive behind this type of issue. Are you sure that there are no leaks you are unaware of?

yes there was a small leak at that flashing, and small amount of water would drain under the baseboards during hard rains. The leak is fixed now.

Assuming no damage inside the wall and only the smell being the issue, I would suggest Concrobium (sp?). I bought a spray bottle at Home Depot and it works great. Of course you need to get access to the area to spray so some "surgical cut-outs" would be needed. The cut-outs would also allow you to take a look inside the wall.

Back